What makes Kleinpeter extraordinary?
Jeff Kleinpeter, President of Kleinpeter Famrs Dairy, offers the following thoughts on the company values we hold dear.
1. Passion for what we do. Simply put, we love what we do. Our customers might say, ‘Well, they are in a unique business and they just happen to love it.’ But we would like for them to know that we really do love our business—every aspect of it, from the farming to our cows to our packaging and distribution. And especially our customers. We love providing the safest and very best quality products we can. After all, our day starts early at Kleinpeter Farms Dairy—it helps to love to come to work each day!
2. Be accessible.
I have been told by many consumers who email us with issues, “I can’t believe that the president of the company actually took the time to personally answer my concern. Thanks for doing that and I will definitely continue to buy your milk”. That’s pretty powerful, isn’t it?
3. Anticipate problems and take steps to avoid them.
When a problem arises, be thorough about investigating its root cause, be sure what went wrong, and come up with a fix that will ensure that it doesn’t happen again. And the best way to not have issues is to think of ways to avoid them before they happen, that is called management to us.
4. An obsessive approach to quality—setting high standards and holding ourselves to them. It’s easy to be obsessive about the quality of our products—all you have to do is drink them. Jimmy Dean, of the sausage company that bears his name, said, “I would rather people complain about the price, than complain about the lack of quality.” At Kleinpeter Dairy, we say, “If it’s not good enough for us, it’s not good enough for you either.” We are not afraid to constantly look in the mirror to see what we can do better.
5. The quest for higher efficiency never ends. No one organization will ever reach 100% efficiency. Why? Technology changes every hour of every day. Implementing that technology into a functional effort in each of our businesses is one of our challenges. That challenge never sleeps. The new technologies, i.e., a better mouse trap, is constantly being reinvented. Thus, the challenge never ends. If you think your organization has met all of those challenges, think again. The quest never, never ends.
6. Set a good example to our employees and our community. Through our strong business ethic, high moral ethics, and willingness to work together to find worthy solutions, we hope that our team observes what we do and how we do it. By treating each other with respect, we can all learn how team effort is vital to the strength of our team and the strength of our community.
In 2007, the Kleinpeter team donated to 243 local charities and causes, each one a fit to the philosophy that has been handed down for four generations. We take great pride in sharing our philosophy of giving back and we hope that the way in which we do this will inspire our neighbors to create their own legacy of giving back.
7. We believe in giving back. From the time we were young children, we witnessed firsthand the Kleinpeter Family’s commitment to supporting the communities we serve. Previous generations of Kleinpeters showed us good examples by stepping up to the plate through monetary contributions, and by contributing their time offered for important causes. In addition, we believe in contributions of personal contacts that can make our world a better place, and regularly make contributions to our environment that will help us pass on a better world for future generations.
8. Help others. Many around us are turned off by what they see on the news. Many are tired of the ‘same old broken record.’ “What can you do for me?” seems to be spoken by everyone. At Kleinpeter, we believe that we have an obligation to give back. We chose to help all we can, wherever we can. As long as someone wants to help themselves, we feel the effort to help them is worth it.
We do this not only because we feel the obligation, but because we are able to do so. Our community is gracious enough to believe in us by buying our products and supporting our families, so why would we not return the favor?
9. Treat everyone well - our employees, our animals, our customers. We believe that our team consists of our cows, employees, suppliers, and customers. We must all work in unison to be satisfied simultaneously. If one part of the team breaks down, we all suffer. This is why we believe that we must all treat each other well. We sum up that belief by saying, “We love our cows.”